BLOG: My Reflections On 2015 & Hello 2016!Posted by in Inspiration, Latest News
Happy New Year!
As I reflected on 2015 and eagerly look forward to 2016 with hope, I couldn’t stop thinking of Anne Frank’s famous saying:
“Where there’s hope, there’s life. It fills us with fresh courage and makes us strong again.”
I am truly grateful for my happy, challenging and stressful encounters in 2015. It was a special year for me. I like to think that I have become a better business person, a better decision-maker, and a better person.
2015 included many of my firsts in life. To name a few:
- First time to run my own business, 11K Consulting, with 100% responsibility, fun and fulfillment. It has been such a challenging and rewarding journey thus far. I am absolutely loving it. Thank you hugely for those who have helped me and my company grow and succeed this year! To name a few, I’d like to sincerely thank Andy A, Mei Sim, Michael H, Susan F, Sarah Y, Andrew D, Edward T, David M, Daisy I, and many others at work, and my loving family.
- First time to be the public face and advocate of my company, my child. I was regularly featured in UK and Asia media (e.g. PRWeek Asia, PRMoment.com, Nee Hao magazine, etc.) and was invited to speak at public events (e.g. Google Campus, Migreat Communities, etc.) for numerous times. I do thoroughly enjoy public speaking and am now even more thankful for my Toastmasters/public speaking training in London and Singapore over the past five years!
- First time to really say ‘No’ to things that don’t fit my purposes or values. It’s so tempting to say yes to all the business opportunities that come to my way, especially when I just ventured out my business. But with time, I learnt that it is so important to be able to say No – if I don’t feel right to myself or the company. I used my gut instinct far more often than before. I was glad that I was able to say No to a few business opportunities which then allowed me to attract the right clients and grow my company with integrity in a longer term.
- First time to be myself. Don’t get me wrong. Being myself has become even more incredibly important and critical when I am wholly responsible for all the decisions and actions I take for my company. Being 100% myself helps me filter and rule out things and people that do not serve each other. Likes attract likes.
- First time to visit No 10 Downing Street! Running my own UK-Asia/China PR agency means that I need to strategically network and expand my connections in both Asia and the UK. I was delighted to be invited to attend a private event with both UK Prime Minister David Cameron and Alibaba CEO Jack Ma as the keynote speakers at No 10 Downing Street during the China’s State Visit to the UK in October 2015. I have to say I was impressed by both charisma and public speaking/public engagement skills.
- First time to feel truly contented at work. It’s still an early stage of running my business but I am definitely loving the entrepreneurship journey, which has been a roller coaster full of ups and downs in every turn. I find myself most fulfilled and satisfied when I gain clarity in why and what I do and then go for it. I like where 11K Consulting is heading to and am looking forward to growing the company to the next level in the New Year, with faith and determination.
- First time to help a charity organisation. One of my 2015 resolutions was to give back and hence I became the UK PR Ambassador for the amazing Kianh Foundation, a small charity organisation for children with disabilities and families in Vietnam. In June 2015, I helped them organise a first fundraising dinner in London. In honesty, it was much harder than I thought and I was so relieved when 50 guests actually turned out that evening and we raised over £2,500 that evening – which was a very humble amount but a good-enough target for our first event in London. Giving is receiving. When I give, I receive more.
Thank you 2015 for making me stronger; and 2016, I am ready for you!
Wishing you all a new year full of success, happiness, money, strength, peace and love.
All my best,
SallyTags: 11K Consulting, Happy New Year, Kianh Foundation, Reflection