BLOG: Sally Shares Tips on “How to Build a Trusted Thought Leadership & Personal Branding Presence in China” at ENRICH WebinarPosted by in China, Communications, Digital, Events, Latest News, Marketing, Public relations
I was delighted to share my thoughts on “Building a Trusted Thought Leadership & Personal Branding Presence in China” at a “Business Development in China: securing the right strategic partnerships and establishing the right presence in China” webinar, organised by European Network of Research and Innovation Centres and Hubs (ENRICH), recently.
In my presentation, I highlighted why trust matters (even more) in China.
- Nearly 7 in 10 Chinese consumers avoid advertising
- Chinese consumers use their wallet to show Trust
- 69% of Chinese consumers agree: “Trust is more important today than in the past”
- 88% have started using a new brand because of the innovative or compassionate way they have responded to the COVID-19 outbreak
- 84% said they have convinced other people to stop using a brand they felt was not acting appropriately in response to the pandemic – compared to 40% globally
(Source: Edelman Trust Barometer 2020)
The take-aways here are:
- Influence built through Authority and Empathy
- Purpose guides communications
- More trust, more loyalty, more engagement; and hence more sales/shares
And here is my step-by-step approach to build your trusted brand image in China:
- WHY (Purpose): Know your vision, your brand values, your WHY/purpose
- WHAT (Strategy): Know your position in the industry – what are your products, USPs
- WHO (Target audiences): Know your target audiences – who you are talking to
- HOW/WHEN/WHERE (PR and Marketing Plan): Know where and how to talk to your right audiences at the right channels at the right time. With consistent, regular, and repeated messaging
Specifically, here are some common PR and marketing tactics to build your trusting image, whether you are a big corporation, a SME, or a start up for the Chinese audiences:
- Media – national, mainstream, trade, etc.
- Social media – WeChat, Little Red Book, Weibo, etc.
- Digital marketing – Baidu, SEO, etc.
- Speaking at relevant conferences / events / trade shows / webinars
- Build strategic long-term partnership with other respected companies
- Direct introductions by other trusted people in your networks
If you’d like to receive a copy of my presentation or have a brainstorm session about how to build your own trusted thought leadership positioning among the Chinese audiences, do drop me a line at email@example.com. Always happy to connect and discuss!
Tags: ENRICH, thought leadership, trust