BLOG: Top Facts and Stats on Chinese TravellersPosted by in China, Latest News, Marketing, Trends
Recently we attended VisitBritain’s “Spotlight on China” seminar which was packed with up-to-date insights. Below are our key facts and statistics which might be of interest to any companies who are targeting Chinese travellers:
China outbound travel
- China ranked no. 9 most valuable market in the UK, having broken into the top 10 for spending for the first time – i.e. £585m (vs USA who topped the list with £3,010m total spending)
- China, world’s most valuable outbound market, worth USD292bn in 2015
- Visits to West Europe 7.6m in 2015 and estimated to reach 11.6m by 2020
What does Brexit mean for Chinese travellers?
UK is good value for money! £ is 14% cheaper year on year when USD is 5% more expensive and Euro is 4% more expensive.
China trip characteristics
- Holiday visits (46%) have grown the most, especially in 2015. Business accounted for 19% of total travels.
- Medium length trips between 4 and 14 nights have become more popular
- Chinese visitors stay longer than the average holiday visitor – i.e. 9.5 nights for Chinese visitors vs 6.2 nights for all the others
- Chinese visitors are more likely to be under 45
- Chinese holiday visitors like shopping, parks/gardens and museums in Britain the most
- China is one of the markets most likely to book indirectly i.e. through an agent/OTA
Long-term view: Chinese visits and spending to the UK from China
- Upward trend since 2009 with strong growth in 2015
- China’s importance to UK inbound market has grown sharply
Want to know more about how to tap into this growth opportunity? We can help! Speak to us today: firstname.lastname@example.org.Tags: Brexit, China outbound travel, Chinese tourists, Chinese travellers, VisitBritain